Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Eventful Weekend

Well, another weekend has gone by and I have done NOTHING in the studio. But I had a good excuse- it's fall, it's beautiful outside, the frost is coming, I had to harvest stuff... sigh. I have no excuse. Everytime I go to sit down at my table, something "more important" catches my eye. Like the dirty dishes in the sink, the cat hair billowing across the floor... you know how it is. Right? Please tell me there are other artist out there that need to be physically tied down to get any art work done! We did have a lot going on this weekend though. We finally got a game night planned over at my sister's house and I was bound and determined to be on time. She lives about 40 minutes away and we usually end up being late for whatever reason. Nothing was going to make us late this time. I had it all planned out that we would leave the house a full hour and a half before we needed to be there which would even give us time to run a quick errand at Home Depot on the way. You know how they say if you want to make God laugh then tell him your plans? Well, I think he heard this one. I was all ready to go and I looked out the front door and saw Dan staring out over the back yard and Bandit was barking. There was a hot air balloon coming. Bandit doesn't like anything invading our air space, so this was causing quite a commotion. The balloon finally came into view over the trees and floated across the sky. It was really low and we thought it might land in the field next to us. But then it went up again and JUST missed the tree line. We decided to follow it a little ways so we headed up the driveway and down the street (Mind you, just walking up our driveway has already nixed the Home Depot trip). The balloon was coming down again and we could see it at the end of the street landing in one of our neighbors' back yards! Everyone was coming out of their houses and running over to see what was going on. It was quite a landing- T & E's yard isn't small, but I wouldn't want to try to land a hot air balloon in it. Soon the chase van arrived and everyone got to help squeeze all the air out or the balloon and roll it back up and stuff it in the van. Then the balloon people broke out the champagne and the snacks and we had a little impromptu party in T & E's yard. Bandit was in heaven. He sat in the middle of the circle and went around to everyone to see if they would share something with him. One of the neighbors said he's lived on this street for 36 years and this has never happend before. That was my opening line when I called D to explain we'd be late. Again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. Those things can be loud too! We had one go over our house in Houston and when they gunned the burner we ran outside wondering what the heck the loud noise was! Bizarre to see one about 20-30 feet above your house!

beth said...

I've been in one of those balloons and they are a blast...and that landing.....OH!! they can be VERY tricky....

how fun though, right there in the neighborhood, to see one come down....

henrysmom said...

now, i HAVE had moments (days, weeks) where i needed to be locked into my studio in order to get something done, but i must say, the old "hot air balloon in the yard" excuse...now that's a new one to me! :) Linda

Chantelle said...

Hey!

I rec'd your comment but have no email address for you - just your blog :) If you wouldn't mind sharing some of your favorite recipes, that would be great! I hate to say that I did start eating some meat again this weekend but still would like to stay to eating it very rarely if I can. My email address is ChantelleBose at gmail dot com